Catholic Adult Faith Essentials
Are you someone who has just started listening, or is regularly listening, to Fr Mike Schmitz’ daily podcast, “The Catechism in a Year”? Do you have questions about some of Fr. Mike’s presentations, or would you like more discussion about them? Do you want to learn more about the contents of the Catechism in a comfortable adult group setting? This series of presentations may be just what you and others have been asking for. You can attend just one, or all the presentations—each one has different content.
Join Jack and Karen Henz—our parish’s husband and wife catechist team: Certified Catechist Trainers and Graduates of Kino Catechetical Institute—to learn more about your Catholic faith!
This series of ten, six-hour classes, approved by the Diocese of Phoenix, give an overview of the Catechism of the Catholic Church and includes discussion. They are the same classes taught at the Kino Institute in the Diocese of Phoenix offices. Participation in, and completion of all ten, will lead to “Catechist Certification” with the Diocese of Phoenix.
- The first class will meet Sat, Sep 9, 8:30am-3:00pm, and is completed on Sat, Sep 16, 8:30-11:30am.
- Each month, a different section from each of the 4 “Pillars” of the Catechism will be discussed. Classes are only held on one or two Saturdays a month; most meet 8:30am-12:30pm, Sep 2023 to May 2024. A schedule of dates will be provided at the first class.
- Classes meet in the upper classrooms 7-8-9 (Next to the Faith Formation Office)
- Lecture format, with many handouts are provided. No Homework is required!
- There are no costs to attend the presentations at Corpus Christi. Fr Rey includes the cost of resources for the classes in the parish budget.
- Required Materials: US Catechism for Adults by the US Conference of Catholic Bishops (USCCB), 2006 or 2019 version, and any recent Catholic Study Bible with a commentary.
Essentials of the Catholic Faith classes are for:
- All Catholic adults who are interested in learning more about their faith, growing closer to Jesus and who may be seeking answers to questions they have been asked by others. This more than an ‘Introduction to Catholicism’ for those wanting to become Catholic in an RCIA/OCIA program.
- Those who want a refresher on some aspects of Catholic teaching or practices found in the Catechism, because they volunteer in parish ministries such as youth religious education, middle and high school ministries, sacramental preparation, Eucharistic ministry, Prison Ministry, OCIA/ RCIA, Adult Faith Formation, and/ or Bible Studies, etc.
- Those who want to earn a ‘Catechist Certificate” with the Diocese of Phoenix, or are seeking recertification hours for their current Catechist Certification.
Although there is no charge for this class, Pre-registration by Thursday before each class is required, in order to have a sufficient number of photocopied handouts for everyone attending. We may not have sufficient copies for drop-ins.